Arun is currently part of the App Core team at Grab and enjoys working with the Android platform specialising in architecture, developer experience, build tooling and have worked with apps of varying sizes over last 8 years. In his spare time, he enjoys maintaining couple of open source projects on Play Store and writes occasionally on his blog: arunkumar.dev/blog.
Bazel for Android Development
13:20 > 40 min
Bazel is an open source build system by Google with a focus on large scale applications. In this talk, we discuss Bazel build system concepts, terminologies and mental model for using Bazel for Android development and explore how it compares conceptually with Gradle.
By end of this talk, viewers will know how to get started with Bazel and understand tradeoffs to evaluate if Bazel might be a good fit for their projects.
- Bazel Build scripts (Starlark)
- Bazel rules vs Gradle plugins
- State of Android support in Bazel
- Remote Cache and Remote Execution
- Execution strategy comparison
- Migration strategies and Grab’s learnings
- Grab’s automated Bazel migration tooling
- Advanced Bazel
- Platforms, Queries and Extending Bazel